If you’re lucky enough to have a garden, it’s the perfect place to spend time on a beautiful summer’s day, away from the crowds of the park, beach, or beer garden. But if you haven’t used your outdoor space for months, it’s likely that it’s looking a little neglected, and if you haven’t stored your garden furniture in the right way over the winter, it may need replacing.
Investing in new outdoor furniture can transform your outdoor space ready for the warmer weather – fingers crossed! – and there are other steps you can take to give your garden a makeover ahead of the summer. Read on to discover how to give your garden a new lease of life ready for a season of outdoor entertaining and relaxing in the sun.
Find The Perfect Garden Furniture For You
You’ll find a fantastic selection of garden furniture for relaxing on or for entertaining at Koble. Here are a few of our favourite outdoor furniture sets:
1. The Ultimate Rattan Garden Furniture Set
Rattan garden furniture is an on-trend choice, and looks great in a spacious garden. Our Charleston Outdoor Garden Rattan Corner Sofa Set (priced at £1,520) features an L-shaped corner sofa, matching stool (which doubles up as a footrest), and a coffee table.
This set has stylish, sleek, glass-topped arms, while the coffee table has acacia wooden feet, bringing an extra touch of luxury to your garden. The sofa and stool have dark grey piped foam cushions that can be zipped off for easy removal and washing, making this a brilliant, practical garden furniture set for relaxing with the family or entertaining friends.
2. White Outdoor Furniture
White garden furniture is another incredibly popular choice, as it can be accessorised with brightly coloured cushions and throws to bring a burst of summer to your outdoor space.
With a two-seater sofa, two armchairs, and a coffee table, the Bahamas Outdoor Garden Lounge Furniture Set (priced at £1,650) features smart bright white cushions on a luxurious solid wood acacia frame. It’s natural to worry about whether white is the most practical colour if you’re going to be eating and drinking on your outdoor furniture, but these cushions can be easily zipped off for washing when needed, meaning you can keep your garden furniture looking as good as new.
3. Garden Furniture For Entertaining
From garden parties to barbecues and nights around the firepit, summer was made for outdoor entertaining. Featuring two large sofas and a corner seat, the New England Outdoor Garden Corner Lounge Set (priced at £1,420) is the perfect outdoor furniture set for entertaining.
This set combines a stainless steel frame with solid acacia wood outer details, and features boxed and piped foam cushions, which are not only stain-resistant, but can also be removed easily for washing.
8 Other Ways To Transform Your Garden This Summer
From cleaning and decorating your patio area to learning how to take better care of your lawn, read on to discover eight ways to transform your garden ready for the better weather.
1. Clean Your Patio
Everything from lack of use to winter storms can leave a patio looking dirty and neglected. Investing in or hiring a jet wash can work wonders for cleaning a patio, but if your garden makeover budget doesn’t stretch quite that far, there are homemade cleaning solutions you can try.
- Start by removing any moss or weeds from in between stones
- Use warm soapy water and a hard-bristled brush to clean away any dirt, grime, and stones from your patio
- Alternatively, create a homemade cleaning solution of half vinegar and half water
- Once all of the dirt has been washed away, rinse the patio, and repeat the process if necessary until it’s looking beautifully clean
2. Look After Your Lawn
Lawns can also end up in a neglected state after the summer months, but with a little TLC, you can soon get yours looking in good condition again. Our top lawn care tips include:
- Cut your grass regularly – you should be mowing it every couple of weeks in the summer. Make sure you cut it one last time at the start of autumn to keep it in good condition for the winter too
- Use weed killer to keep any unwanted weeds at bay
- Water your lawn like you would other plants; if it’s looking a little brown after mowing or at any other time, it may benefit from being watered with a hosepipe
- If you have the time, mow your lawn in straight lines for an ultra-smart appearance
- Always trim your lawn’s borders each time you cut the grass to keep the edges looking as neat as possible
3. Paint Tired-Looking Decking
Give tired-looking decking a new lease of life with a coat of paint. Go for a bright white, or even a bold primary or fun pastel colour to bring a slice of summer to your garden all year round. This is a relatively low-cost way to spruce up your outdoor space, without you needing to invest in brand new decking.
To paint your decking, follow the below steps:
- Clean and sand your decking before you begin to avoid any dirt, grime, or splinters spoiling your paintwork
- Don’t overload your brush with paint to prevent it from looking too thick
- Make sure all of your brushstrokes are applied in the same direction for the neatest possible finish
- Bear in mind that you may need to use a little extra paint on any cracks to help to fill them in and disguise their appearance
4. Invest In A Barbecue
If you don’t already have one, a barbecue is a brilliant investment for the summer months. It’s the perfect excuse to invite everyone over to show off your new garden furniture, try out some new recipes, and have a good catch-up in the sun.
Our favourite barbecue recipe ideas include:
- Homemade lamb and mint burgers
- Homemade beef burgers, served with cheese, raw onion rings, and optional bacon
- Halloumi and vegetable skewers
- Barbecued salmon parcels, cooked over the griddle in foil parcels, and served in a burger bun or with a salad
- Chargrilled spiced chicken, served in flatbreads with salad
- Barbecued chorizo for hot dogs with a kick
- Barbecued bananas, cooked in foil, and served with ice cream for a delicious contrast of hot and cold
- Homemade salsa, hummus, and tzatziki for customising your mains
Ask guests to bring a side dish or something to drink so you can be sure that there’s something everyone fancies, and make sure you have plenty of cushions and throws for when the sun goes down and the temperature drops a little.
5. String Up Fairy Lights
Fairy lights look gorgeous twinkling after the sun goes down. Whether you’ve got friends around or you’re having a last cup of tea outdoors before you go to bed, stringing up fairy lights is an easy, budget-friendly way to transform your outdoor space, even if it’s just a balcony.
6. Get A Smart Bluetooth Lantern Speaker
A portable speaker that you can take outdoors is a great investment, not just for your garden in the summer months, but for using in different rooms indoors the rest of the year too.
Check out our collection of smart LED Bluetooth lantern speakers, which features a choice of splashproof models, making them suitable for taking outside, where splashes from a paddling pool or hot tub may be a risk.
Place your Bluetooth lantern speaker on your outdoor coffee table and enjoy its mood lighting to set the scene for a garden party or afternoon relaxing outdoors. Play your favourite party playlist when you’ve got guests around, or a chapter of an audiobook when you’re enjoying your morning coffee in the sun.
7. Splash Out On A Hot Tub
If you love to entertain, and you have the budget, the space, and know you’ll get good use of it, a hot tub is the ultimate investment to transform your garden. We recommend investing in some fluffy robes too; after you’ve dried off from your soak, it’s the perfect thing to wear while you’re relaxing with a drink on your garden sofa – doesn’t that sound like bliss?!
8. Plant Flowers, Herbs, Or Vegetables
Planting something that needs nurturing is a great way to become more engaged with your garden – it could be the motivation you need to start looking after it all year round, particularly if you’re planting herbs or vegetables that you can eat.
Flowers to plant that bloom in the UK summer include:
If you’re interested in growing your own fruit or vegetables, those that are in season in the summer months include:
- Runner beans
- New potatoes
Use your home-grown produce to create the ultimate fresh salad at a barbecue. You should also use the summer months to plant bulbs that you’d like to flower later in the autumn too, to keep your garden looking lovely all year round.
Where To Buy Garden Furniture
Garden furniture sells out fast, and it’s not always easy to find in the major DIY or home stores in the summer, once you’ve got organised enough to think about it. At Koble, we have a great range of garden furniture, including rattan and acacia wood designs. All of our outdoor furniture is designed with self-assembly in mind – it should take just one person to assemble your new outdoor set.
Place your order with us today to have your new garden furniture set delivered direct to your garden within 14 days, on a named day of your choice.